The Commemorative Air Force B-25 Yellow Rose was built in 1943 as B-25J-5-NC, serial number 43-27868.
April 26, 1944:
The Yellow Rose was delivered, over one year before the end of World War II.
The aircraft was assigned to the 334th Bombardment (Medium) Group (Third Air Force) and later, to the 331st AAF Base Unit (Combat Crew Replacement Training), 3rd AF, Greenville Army Air Field (AAF), South Carolina. There were deployments to Myrtle Beach AAF, SC and Columbia AAF, SC during this period.
The Rose was assigned to the 128th AAF Base Unit (Continental Air Force), Greenville AAF, SC.
The Rose was assigned to the 112th AAF Base Unit (ConAF), Hartford AAF, CT.
The aircraft was assigned to the 112th AAF Base Unit (ConAF), Westover AFB, Massachusetts.
The Rose was placed in storage at the 4168th AAF Base Unit (Air Technical Service Command) at South Plains AAF, Texas.
The aircraft was transferred to another storage location at the 4141st AAF Base Unit (Air Material Command) at Pyote AAF, Texas.
The bomber was removed from storage and assigned to the 3750th Technical Training Wing (Air Training Command) as a ground instructional airframe at Shepard AFB, Texas. It remained there for almost seven years without flying, which explains the low airframe time.
The aircraft was flown to the Birmingham Modification Center where Hayes Aircraft Company converted it to a TB-25N and returned it to flying status.
The plane was assigned to the 3640th Pilot Training Wing (ATC) at Laredo AFB, Texas and that assignment included a deployment to Offutt AFB, Nebraska. (note: one of the people who flew the aircraft there has been locatedówe will try to get some stories).
The aircraft was put back into storage at the Arizona Aircraft Storage Branch (Air Material Command) at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.
December 11, 1959:
The Rose was sold to Fogle Aircraft Co., Tucson, AZ for $1395. Later, in February 1960, Dothan Aviation Corp bought the aircraft for for $2,500.
The registration number N9077Z was issued for the aircraft.
The aircraft was modified for agricultural spraying and dusting.
The bomber was sold to John Stokes of San Marcos, TX.
John Stokes was approached by future CAF partners and he sold to Charles Skipper of Boerne, TX, Charles Becker, of San Antonio, TX and Jack Jones, of San Antonio, TX.
The aircraft was sold to the Confederate AF in Harlingen, TX.
The registration was changed to N25YR and the title transferred to the American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum, Midland. TX.
The Confederate Air Force changed its name to the Commemorative Air Force.